There has been a massive demand for high-performing electronic products over the past few years. Most of the products are driven by printed circuit boards with high-quality dielectric constant and significantly stable temperatures.
And today, this requirement is gracefully met by the PCB manufacturers by using the best PCB materials. They are deliberately replacing the traditional FR-4 with those materials that ensure efficacious thermal management, power efficiency, and power distribution. The pioneering manufacturers of high-performance Rogers PCB materials are thriving with the best.
Rogers Corporation offers a wide range of substrates, thus ensuring high performance with significantly low signal losses. And with more than 185 years of experience, Rogers provides PCB materials with top-notch performance. In other words, Rogers PCB material properties include high-speed and high-frequency.
Today, this useful guide will enlighten you with every information related to Rogers PCB material. Stay tuned till the end to have a clear idea about these highly effective circuits. Let’s dive in.
Rogers PCB – What is it?
Any PCB product that is manufactured and produced by the Rogers Corporation is referred to as Rogers PCB. The company technically ensures that the PCB hails from a high-frequency PCB material.
Types of Rogers PCB
Numerous types of Rogers PCBs come with different resistance power, especially for harsh conditions. Additionally, the two main categories of Rogers PCB are PTFE and Thermostat based materials.
Here, we have listed some of the major types of Rogers PCB:
● Bonding Materials
- Thermoset Thermally & Electrically Conductive Adhesive (TECA) Film
- Woven Glass / Prepreg / Hydrocarbon / Ceramic
- Ceramic PTFE Bondply
- PTFE Ceramic
- Woven Glass Reinforced Modified Epoxy IMS
- Cross-Plied Woven Glass-Reinforced PTFE
- Ceramic/Woven Glass UL 94 V-0 laminates/Hydrocarbon
- Woven Glass/Ceramic/Hydrocarbon
- PTFE Random Glass Fiber
- Woven Glass Reinforced Modified Epoxy Laminates
- Woven Glass/Ceramic/Hydrocarbon
- Woven Glass Reinforced PTFE Antenna Grade Laminates
- Filled PTFE Composite
● Metal Claddings
- Resistive Foil
- Electrodeposited Reverse Treated
Rogers PCB Material is Preferred Over the Traditional FR-4 – Why is it So?
There are a plethora of reasons that substantiate the significantly increasing use of Ticer and Rogers PCB material over others. This is especially applicable for extensively high-power applications. Here is a comprehensive listing of the notable characteristics of what makes the Rogers PCB material more popular:
- Extremely low moisture absorption
- Fewer losses of dielectric and electrical signals, especially during the performance
- Remarkable dimensional stability
- Extremely low thermal expansion
- Highly improved impedance control
- Significant reduction of outgassing, especially in space applications
- Impeccable resistance towards every kind of chemicals
- Possess both uniform and standard electrical properties
Popular Types of Rogers PCB Materials
There is an impressive range of Rogers PCB materials offered by Rogers Corporation. But wait! Are you having the question of “What is Rogers PCB material” on your mind? Well. It is nothing but the raw material used for creating a high-frequency PCB board. These are way different from the conventional PCB boards that use a ceramic base as the high-frequency material.
Rogers Corporation offers superior dielectric instant and temperature stability. It is exquisitely designed to meet the stringent technical performance of present-day devices. Here are the major types of Rogers PCB materials that are capable of withstanding typically higher temperatures and stresses.
● RO3000® Series
These materials are typically ceramic-filled PTFE composites. And most importantly, they are available with or without woven glass reinforcements. They are carefully designed to provide uniform mechanical properties for numerous dielectric constants.
Above all, these materials ensure outstanding electrical properties at considerably higher frequencies. And owing to such remarkable features, these PCB materials are technically used for both RF applications and commercial microwaves.
Some of the popular Roger substrates available under the RO3000® Series are:
- RO3210™, etc.
Benefits of RO3000® Series
Some of the benefits of the RO3000® Series include:
- They consist of the lowest loss of commercial laminates.
- They are widely available in a DK range of 3.0 to 10.2.
● RO4000® Series
These materials best suit the requirement of low-cost circuit fabrication and superior high-frequency performance. These hydrocarbon ceramic l; aminates come with remarkable dimensional stability and low dielectric tolerance. Besides, it also has a low in-plane expansion coefficient.
The entire RO4000® Series guarantees super high speed and high-frequency performance. Some of the popular PRCB materials under this series include:
Benefits of RO4000® Series
Some of the benefits of the RO4000® Series are:
- It has a low Z-Axis, especially for through-hole technology.
- It hosts an above-average thermal conductivity of 0.6 to 0.8.
- It comes with an impressively optimized cost.
- It has a remarkable RF/Microwave performance.
- It is highly compatible with the FR-4 production processes.
- The RO4000® Series has an enormous DK range of 2.55 to 6.15.
It is clearly visible that Rogers PCB substrates are widely available in enormous varieties, each with unique features and properties. So, choosing the best substrate material becomes an extremely challenging task.
And before you can make the right choice, there are a few things you need to consider. They include:
- Dielectric constant
- Coefficient of thermal expansion
- Decomposition temperature
- Moisture absorption
What are Compatible Applications for Rogers PCB Materials?
There are endless applications across various types of boards that the Rogers PCB substrates can associate with. They go across numerous industries, including military, defense, telecommunication, wireless, and automotive. Here, we have listed a few applications that are compatible with the Rogers PCB materials:
- Power amplifiers
- Cellular base station antennas
- Microwave equipment
- Radar and sensors
- 5G station
- RF Identification (RFID) Tags
- Backhaul radios
- ATE (Automated Test Equipment)
While the Rogers PCB material sales in the US are notably thriving, it will always prove to be the best. And it will always be an ideal choice for all critical applications across various industries. Also, as they are manufactured to operate at higher frequencies, they yield better results, especially in complex board designs.
Besides using Rogers PCB materials, you should also acquire board fabrication from experienced manufacturers. So what are you waiting for? Associate with the best designing and assembling professionals. We’re sure they will be able to work efficiently even with the complex Rogers PCB materials.